Experimental Vibrational Study of Imidazolium-Based Ionic Liquids: Raman and Infrared Spectra of 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium Bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide and 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium Ethylsulfate
Abstract:The vibrational structure of two room-temperature ionic liquids with the cation 1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium [EMIM] and the respective anions bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide [TFSI] and ethylsulfate [EtOSO3] is investigated. In particular, attenuated total reflection (ATR) infrared (IR) as well as Raman spectra in the spectral range from 500 to 3500 cm−1 have been recorded and analyzed. Moreover, the depolarization ratios of the Raman lines are determined. The individual peaks are assigned to the corresponding vibrational modes of the molecules. While the CH stretching region around 3000 cm−1 is dominating in Raman spectra, it is remarkably weak in IR spectra. Finally, the results for 1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide are compared to previous studies of single ions available in the literature. This comparison shows good agreement.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: December 1, 2007
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites