Attenuated Total Reflection Surface-Enhanced Infrared Absorption Microspectroscopy for Identification of Small Thin Layers on Material Surfaces
Abstract:Attenuated total reflection surface-enhanced infrared absorption microspectroscopy (micro-ATR-SEIRA) was developed for the identification of sub-mm size and nm-thick layers on material surfaces by using gold island films deposited on the surface of micro-ATR crystals. A thin layer of triphenyl phosphate (TPP) on a poly(tetrafluoroethylene) (PTFE) membrane filter was used to evaluate the enhancement of the absorption bands. Three types of crystals: diamond, silicon, and germanium, were evaluated. Diamond gave the greatest enhancement with a 12 nm thick gold island film. The enhancement factor was 200 times compared to bare diamond crystal, whereas it was 10 times for germanium crystal. This variation of enhancement factor according to crystal types was presumed to be due to the morphology of the gold films on the crystals. We also obtained an enhanced ATR map over an area of approximately 2 × 6 mm for a thin layer (approximately 1 nm thick) of di-2-ethylhexylphthalate on PTFE using gold-coated hexagonal silicon micro-ATR crystals. This micro-ATR-SEIRA technique has major potential for analyzing small and thin substances on material surfaces.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Toyota Central R&D Labs. Inc., Nagakute, Aichi 480-1192, Japan
Publication date: March 1, 2007
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites