Sub-Doppler Spectral Resolution and Improved Sensitivity in a Cesium Resonance Fluorescence Imaging Monochromator
Abstract:Improvements in spectral resolution and sensitivity of a cesium based resonance fluorescence imaging monochromator (RFIM) are described. Alignment of the two lasers used in the excitation scheme in a co-propagating geometry have resulted in a detector spectral bandpass (270 MHz) that is narrower than the Doppler broadened profile (380 MHz) of cesium vapor at room temperature. Improvements in the experimental design, namely the addition of an image intensifier and cooled charge-coupled device (CCD) camera, have resulted in increased sensitivity; we report a limit of detection of 108 photons per pixel limited by image intensifier noise. Images of the cesium D2 line emission (852.12 nm) from a cesium hollow cathode lamp were compared to an argon emission line (4So 1/2 → 4P3/2) at 852.14 nm from a silver/argon hollow cathode lamp as a demonstration of the spectral resolution. The ability of the RFIM to discriminate between photons exciting the F = 4 vs. F = 3 ground state hyperfine level (a frequency difference of 9.2 GHz) of the cesium 62S1/2 state was also investigated to further demonstrate the spectral selectivity. The potential use of the described RFIM for chemical imaging applications is discussed.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: June 1, 2002
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites