Authentication and Quantification of Extra Virgin Olive Oils by Attenuated Total Reflectance Infrared Spectroscopy Using Silver Halide Fiber Probes and Partial Least-Squares Calibration
Abstract:Infrared attenuated total reflectance spectroscopy has been assessed for the analysis of extra virgin olive oil samples from various Mediterranean sites and their adulteration by sunflower oil. In this study two different silver halide fiber-optic probes were separately tested for the mid-infrared spectroscopic measurement of pure olive oil samples and these same oils adulterated with sunflower oil. One fiber-optic probe contained an exchangeable U-shaped section of the silver halide fiber, whereas the second probe consisted of a fiber-coupled diamond crystal, which performed slightly less well than the whole fiber probe. The optimum standard error of prediction for the sunflower oil concentrations in spiked olive oil samples, obtained by optimized partial least-squares (PLS) calibration models and leave-one-out cross-validation, was 1.2% by weight with the use of a special variable selection strategy based on a pairwise consideration of significant respective minima and maxima of the optimum PLS regression vector, calculated for broad spectral intervals. Calibration robustness was proven by also using packages of 10 randomly selected samples within a further cross-validation for calculating independent prediction values. The implications for product monitoring are discussed.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: May 1, 2001
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites