Novel Experimental Technique for the Absolute Determination of Quantum Yields
Abstract:A new method for the absolute determination of the quantum yield based on the trapping of fluorescence light within a cylinder is discussed. First the trapping probability of photons-which are emitted in transparent rods or fluid-filled tubes-is investigated theoretically. The studies are based on the extension of light governed by the laws of reflection and refraction. The effect of nonhomogeneous distribution of the centers of fluorescence light emission on the calculation procedures is taken into account. Then the adaptation of the theoretical results to a new practical method is shown. The quantum yield as a function of the exciting wavelength is determined in one experimental cycle. The discussion of the method is performed by measurements on fluorescein in aqueous solution. The results are compared to literature data. The conformity demonstrates the applicability of the new method.
Keywords: FLUORESCENCE QUANTUM YIELD FLUORESCEIN
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: August 1, 1998
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites