FT-IR TRS of Liquid Crystalline 5CB in ac, dc, and ac + dc Electric Fields
Abstract:Time-resolved (TR) spectra of 5CB in the millisecond domain were obtained during excitation with electric fields of different time dependence: ac, dc, and ac + dc. The response to ac excitation occurs mainly at twice the modulating frequency. The effect of the addition of dc to an ac field is the induction of an additional response at the ac frequency. The additional ''single frequency'' response persists indefinitely, even though the response to the application of only a permanent dc field relaxes within roughly 200 ms. The amplitude of the oscillating responses diminishes with increasing ac frequency. This result is in accordance with the expected response to the torque exerted by the ac field. Different functional group absorptions respond without a significant phase difference in this time scale.
Keywords: FT-IR TRS LIQUID CRYSTALS
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: November 1, 1997
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites