Determination of Petroleum Properties by Fiber-Optic Fourier Transform Raman Spectrometry and Partial Least-Squares Analysis
Abstract:The petroleum products unleaded gasoline and reformate have been analyzed by Fourier transform (FT) Raman spectrometry with the use of a fiber optic cable that allows a measurement to be carried out remotely from the spectrometer. Samples were contained in glass cuvettes, and collection of high-quality spectra was simple. Fuel properties such as research octane number (RON), motor octane number (MON), density, benzene content, and flexible volatility index (FVI) were determined by application of the partial least-squares multivariate statistical approach. Analytically useful calibrations (R 2 > 0.97) were obtained for all of the significant fuel properties studied. Cross-validation results were, as expected, worse than the calibration results but still indicated the usefulness of the method. Standard errors of prediction with the use of cross validation for models that contained 14-28 samples include: MON = 0.12, RON = 0.16, benzene % = 0.09, and density = 0.0018. These results demonstrate that it is feasible to undertake on-line analyses of petroleum fuels by fiber-optic FT-Raman spectrometry.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Centre for Instrumental and Developmental Chemistry, Queensland University of Technology, P.O. Box 2434, Brisbane, Queensland 4001, Australia
Publication date: December 1, 1995
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites