History of "Sadtler" Spectroscopy
Abstract:In 1872, S. P. Sadtler (1847-1923), after studying under Bunsen and others, returned from Göttingen, with a Ph.D. in chemistry, carrying a hand-held emission spectroscope, which he used in laboratory experiments at the University of Pennsylvania and in his own laboratory. It is interesting to note that his son, S. S. Sadtler (1873-1954), also used the same spectroscope. In those days, emission was the only form of spectroscopy, other than the hot wire; that was the case until infrared was introduced by Coblentz about 1900.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: SANDA, Inc., 4343 East River Drive, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19129
Publication date: November 1, 1985
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites