Effect of Spectrometer Resolution on Absorption Spectra
Abstract:The effect of spectrometer resolution on the parameters of an absorption spectrum is studied by numerical convolution. The dependencies of observed full width at half maximum (FWHM) and peak absorption on spectrometer resolution, true FWHM and peak absorption of the absorption band is obtained. The observed dependencies are explained qualitatively. Over the useful range of parameters, coupled empirical relations are obtained which estimate the parameters of the true spectrum from the parameters of the observed spectrum within 1.5%. The usefulness of the coupled empirical relations is demonstrated by applying them to C—H stretching mode of CHCl3.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Reactor Research Centre, Kalpakkam 603 102, India
Publication date: January 1, 1982
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites