Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrophotometer for Transmittance and Diffuse Reflectance Measurements
Abstract:This paper describes a new Fourier transform infrared spectrophotometer with the capability to measure diffuse reflectance (DR) from 5000 to 500 cm−1 (2 to 20 μm) in addition to the normal transmittance measurements. The instrument has a true simultaneous double beam measurement mode and a high speed single beam mode. The system also takes advantage of many data manipulation and display features due to the built-in computer and 2.5 million word storage system. One of the objectives of this work was to produce a practical instrument which includes the DR capability; another was to introduce the qualitative and quantitative measurements of DR in the infrared to the analytical community. DR has been commonly available in the visible and near ir spectrum, but until this new instrument, has not been available in the ir. A brief survey of the background and history of DR and emittance measurements in the ir is given. The design details and operation of the instrument are generally examined. Brief examples are provided for a few transmittance, trace analysis, and microsampling applications, and a variety of DR results are shown. The addition of diffuse reflectance as a tool in the infrared opens new avenues for investigation and application in many fields.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Willey Corporation, Box 670, Melbourne, Florida 32901
Publication date: November 1, 1976
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites