Moisture-Induced Transformations of α- and β-D-Glucoses As Revealed by Infrared Spectroscopy
Abstract:Spectral data are presented showing that the β form of glucose can be changed to the α form while in the solid phase, but this is not reversible. The existence of β-D-glucose hydrate is postulated. Anomer transformation occurs only with the hydrated sugar Rigorous drying of infrared-quality KBr was found unnecessary for use with the sugars.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Plant Fibers Pioneering Research Laboratory New Orleans, Louisiana
Publication date: July 1, 1964
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites