If you are experiencing problems downloading PDF or HTML fulltext, our helpdesk recommend clearing your browser cache and trying again. If you need help in clearing your cache, please click here . Still need help? Email help@ingentaconnect.com

Incidental Observations on the Growth and Survival of Loblolly and Shortleaf Pines in an Even-Aged Natural Stand

$29.50 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Buy Article:

Abstract:

Species composition and growth were monitored from age 6 to 14 years in a natural, even-aged stand of mixed loblolly and shortleaf pines (Pinus taeda L. and P. echinata Mill.) in southern Arkansas. Six of 12 0.4-ac study plots were precommercially thinned at age 6 when pine density averaged 16,600 stems/ac At that time, loblolly accounted for 70% of all pines with the remaining 30% being shortleaf. From age 8 to 12, loblolly pines generally outgrew shortleaf pines in both thinned and unthinned conditions. From age 12 to 14, crop trees of loblolly pine on thinned plots generally grew better than shortleaf crop trees, but there was no statistically significant difference in crop-tree growth between species on the unthinned plots. At age 14, loblolly crop trees were generally larger than shortleaf crop trees; despite that size difference, shortleaf pine will probably continue to be represented in the canopy of the maturing stand. South. J. Appl. For. 14(2):81-84.

Document Type: Journal Article

Affiliations: USDA Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station, Forestry Sciences Laboratory, Monticello, AR 71655

Publication date: May 1, 1990

More about this publication?
  • Each regional journal of applied forestry focuses on research, practice, and techniques targeted to foresters and allied professionals in specific regions of the United States and Canada. The Southern Journal of Applied Forestry covers an area from Virginia and Kentucky south to as far west as Oklahoma and east Texas.
  • Membership Information
  • ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
Related content

Tools

Favourites

Share Content

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
ingentaconnect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more