"The Greatest Good of the Greatest Number"
Abstract:This address was given at the dedication of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest in the State of Washington, held at La Wis Wis Forest Camp, 116 miles south of Seattle, on October 15, 1949. The name of the Columbia National Forest was officially changed to Gifford Pinchot National Forest by proclamation of President Harry S. Truman on June 15, 1949. The dedication followed the annual meeting of the Society of American Foresters in Seattle during October 10-14. Participating in the ceremonies, in addition to the chief of the Forest Service, were Horace J. Andrews, regional forester, Portland, Ore.; Governor Arthur B. Langlie of Washington; Cornelia Bryce Pinchot of Washington, D. C. and Milford, Pa.; and Clyde S. Martin, president of the Society of American Foresters.
Document Type: Journal Article
Affiliations: Chief, Forest Service, U. S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D. C.
Publication date: February 1, 1950
More about this publication?
- The Journal of Forestry is the most widely circulated scholarly forestry journal in the world. In print since 1902, the Journal has received several national awards for excellence. The mission of the Journal of Forestry is to advance the profession of forestry by keeping forest management professionals informed about significant developments and ideas in the many facets of forestry: economics, education and communication, entomology and pathology, fire, forest ecology, geospatial technologies, history, international forestry, measurements, policy, recreation, silviculture, social sciences, soils and hydrology, urban and community forestry, utilization and engineering, and wildlife management. The Journal is published bimonthly: January, March, May, July, September, and November.
- Membership Information
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites