The first forest-farming project in Georgia was established in 1940 and included 211,000 acres in the heart of the naval-stores belt. Here the forests were badly run down and had not previously been regarded by farmers as a major resource in spite of the fact that 85 per cent of the area is in woods and 79 per cent of this on farms. After two years of successful operation, described in detail in this article, the project has materially improved the condition of the forests and greatly increased the income therefrom on the farms of the 59 cooperators, all of whom are enthusiastic in its support.
Document Type: Journal Article
Associate forester, Division of State and Private Forestry, U. S. Forest Service, Atlanta, Ga.
Publication date: January 1, 1943
More about this publication?
The Journal of Forestry is the most widely circulated scholarly forestry journal in the world. In print since 1902, the Journal has received several national awards for excellence. The mission of the Journal of Forestry is to advance the profession of forestry by keeping forest management professionals informed about significant developments and ideas in the many facets of forestry: economics, education and communication, entomology and pathology, fire, forest ecology, geospatial technologies, history, international forestry, measurements, policy, recreation, silviculture, social sciences, soils and hydrology, urban and community forestry, utilization and engineering, and wildlife management. The Journal is published bimonthly: January, March, May, July, September, and November.