Patrick Geddes and the evolution of a housing type in Tel-Aviv
The typical Tel-Aviv ‘house’ and its resulting urbanscape are the products of the convergence between the plan prepared for Tel-Aviv in 1925 by Patrick Geddes, advanced architecture practice brought to Palestine by European trained Jewish architects, and social, economic and political realities regulating the developing city during the British Mandate. The Geddes plan is examined as a reflection of the period’s planning efforts and their influence on urban land development. The consequences of the plan are critically investigated to show how, aided by administrative and architectural efforts, it facilitated real estate development which promoted the consolidation of a specific housing type. Thus, despite its utopian aspiration for a green communal city, the Geddes plan did not contain, and perhaps even supported, the capitalist development of Tel-Aviv, carried on up to the present.