Health care utilization and costs of adult asthma in Taiwan

$39.50 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Buy Article:

Abstract:

The burden of asthma is sufficient to warrant its recognition as a high-priority disorder in governmental health strategies in many countries. However, the components of the total health care costs for patients with asthma have not been well studied, and an overall understanding of health care utilization patterns in this population is lacking in Taiwan. We evaluated 95,110 patients aged 18–55 years who were enrolled in the National Health Insurance Research Database from January 1 to December 31, 2002. Health care utilization and costs, including those related to office, outpatient hospital, emergency department, and inpatient hospital visits were compared between patients with and patients without asthma. In 2002, the period prevalence of treated asthma was 1.8%. Patients with asthma used substantially more services than did those without asthma in all categories. The mean costs of hospitalizations for patients with asthma were 2.7-fold higher than those of patients without asthma. Asthma care represented 26% of all health-care services that patients with asthma received, while the remaining 74% were for nonasthma care. Almost one-half of all asthma-related costs were attributable to hospitalizations. These findings may serve as baseline data for future evaluations of changes in health care utilization and expenditures among asthmatic patients.

Keywords: Adult; Taiwan; asthma; claim database; cost; health care; utilization

Document Type: Research Article

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2500/aap.2008.29.3095

Affiliations: 1: Department of Allergy, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan 2: Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan

Publication date: March 1, 2008

More about this publication?
  • Allergy and Asthma Proceedings is a peer reviewed publication dedicated to distributing timely scientific research regarding advancements in the knowledge and practice of allergy, asthma and immunology. Its primary readership consists of allergists and pulmonologists.

    The goal of the Proceedings is to publish articles with a predominantly clinical focus which directly impact quality of care for patients with allergic disease and asthma.

    Featured topics include asthma, rhinitis, sinusitis, food allergies, allergic skin diseases, diagnostic techniques, allergens, and treatment modalities. Published material includes peer-reviewed original research, clinical trials and review articles.

    Articles marked "F" offer free full text for personal noncommercial use only.

    The journal is indexed in Thomson Reuters Web of Science and Science Citation Index Expanded, plus the National Library of Medicine's PubMed service.
  • Editorial Board
  • Information for Authors
  • Submit a Paper
  • Information for Advertisers
  • Reprint Requests
  • ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
Related content

Tools

Favourites

Share Content

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
ingentaconnect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more