The United States of America and Mexico's border was first surveyed during the mid 1800's. The international survey was done in response to the peace treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo which was signed by the two countries on February 2, 1848; following the end of the Mexican American war. The treaty made explicit orders that both countries would create a Joint United States and Mexican Boundary Commission. The Commission's duties were to survey the new border and place monuments along it's boundary. The commission completed there work in the end of 1853. In 1855 the international commission was formed once again to survey the Gadsden Purchase. The Gadsden Purchase would be America's last acquisition of land along our southern border with Mexico.
SaLIS is a scientific journal devoted to reporting research and new work conducted to advance geodetic surveying, land surveying, large-scale mapping, and geographic information systems designed to advance the development and management of the cadastral parcel data layer and other land information applications. SaLIS publishes research articles, technical papers, technical notes, papers on the current state of surveying education, surveying history, book reviews, and current literature reviews. Every four years, the journal publishes the U.S. Report to the International Federation of Surveyors (FIG). The Proceedings of the Surveying Teachers Conference are published bi-annually.