If you are experiencing problems downloading PDF or HTML fulltext, our helpdesk recommend clearing your browser cache and trying again. If you need help in clearing your cache, please click here . Still need help? Email help@ingentaconnect.com

Soil respiration and soil carbon balance in a northern hardwood forest ecosystem

$50.00 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Buy Article:

Abstract:

Soil C fluxes were measured in a northern hardwood forest ecosystem at the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest to provide insights into the C balance of soils at this long-term study site. Soil CO2 emission (FCO2) was estimated using a univariate exponential model as a function of soil temperature based on 23 measurement dates over 5 years. Annual FCO2 for the undisturbed northern hardwood forest was estimated at 660 ± 54 g C·m–2·year–1. Low soil moisture significantly reduced FCO2 on three of the measurement dates. The proportion of FCO2 derived from the forest floor horizons was estimated empirically to be about 58%. We estimated that respiration of root tissues contributed about 40% of FCO2, with a higher proportion for mineral soil (46%) than for forest floor (35%). Soil C-balance calculations, based upon evidence that major soil C pools are near steady state at this site, indicated a large C flux associated with root exudation plus allocation to mycorrhizal fungi (80 g C·m–2·year–1, or 17% of total root C allocation); however, uncertainty in this estimate is high owing especially to high error bounds for root respiration flux. The estimated proportion of FCO2 associated with autotrophic activity (52%) was comparable with that reported elsewhere (56%).

Les flux de carbone dans le sol ont été mesurés dans un écosystème forestier de feuillus nordiques à la forêt expérimentale de Hubbard Brook pour améliorer nos connaissances du bilan du carbone dans les sols de cette station où sont menés des travaux de recherche à long terme. Les émissions de CO2 du sol (FCO2) ont été estimées à l'aide d'un modèle exponentiel univarié en fonction de la température du sol basée sur des mesures prises à 23 dates différentes pendant 5 ans. La valeur annuelle de FCO2 pour une forêt de feuillus nordiques non perturbée a été estimée à 660 ± 54 g C·m–2·an–1. Une faible teneur en eau du sol a significativement réduit la valeur de FCO2 pour trois des dates où des mesures ont été prises. Le pourcentage de FCO2 provenant des horizons organiques a été estimé empiriquement à environ 58 %. Les auteurs ont estimé qu'environ 40 % de la valeur de FCO2 provenait de la respiration des racines avec une plus forte proportion dans le sol minéral (46 %) que dans la litière (35 %). Les calculs de bilan du carbone dans le sol, basés sur des indices que les principaux pools de carbone du sol sont presque à l'état d'équilibre dans cette station, indiquent qu'il y a un important flux de C associé à l'exsudation racinaire en plus de l'allocation aux champignons mycorhiziens (80 g C·m–2·an–1, ou 17 % de l'allocation totale de C aux racines). Cependant, cette estimation comporte une grande incertitude particulièrement à cause de la marge d'erreur élevée pour le flux de CO2 relié à la respiration des racines. La proportion estimée de la valeur de FCO2 associée à l'activité autotrophe (52 %) est comparable à celle rapportée ailleurs (56 %).[Traduit par la Rédaction]

Document Type: Research Article

Publication date: February 1, 2005

More about this publication?
  • Published since 1971, this monthly journal features articles, reviews, notes and commentaries on all aspects of forest science, including biometrics and mensuration, conservation, disturbance, ecology, economics, entomology, fire, genetics, management, operations, pathology, physiology, policy, remote sensing, social science, soil, silviculture, wildlife and wood science, contributed by internationally respected scientists. It also publishes special issues dedicated to a topic of current interest.
  • Information for Authors
  • Submit a Paper
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Sample Issue
  • Reprints & Permissions
  • ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
Related content

Tools

Favourites

Share Content

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
ingentaconnect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more