Efficacy of combined treatment by scalp and penetration acupunctures with TKM medication (tang) on stroke patients
Authors: Seo, Jungchul1; Lee, Hyang-Sook2; Ha, Eunyoung3; Park, Hi-Joon3; Park, Hun-Kuk3; Lee, Hyejung3; Kang, SungKeel3; Yin, ChangShik4; Kim, Jeongseon5; Leem, Kang-Hyun5; Kim, Ee-Hwa5; Ryu, YeonHee6; Choi, SunMi6; Chung, Joo-Ho3
Source: Neurological Research, Volume 29, Supplement 1, February 2007 , pp. 38-41(4)
Publisher: Maney Publishing
Abstract:Background: Traditional Korean medicine (TKM) therapy of scalp and penetration acupuncture has been used for the treatment of stroke in Korea. This study investigated the efficacy of scalp and penetration acupuncture in combination with TKM medication.
Methods: Twenty-four stroke patients were enrolled in the program. Control group (n = 12) received herbal medicines (Baepungtang, Sopungtang or Sosokmyeongtang) and conventional body acupuncture. Treatment group (n = 12) received scalp and penetration acupuncture in addition to herbal medicines and conventional body acupuncture. Improvements in the motor functions were scored by the modified Barthel index (MBI).
Results: After 4 weeks of treatment, statistical analysis showed significant improvement in the MBI scores for both groups. Significant difference in the MBI scores between two groups, however, was not observed.
Conclusion: The supportive effect of scalp and penetration acupuncture in the treatment of stroke needs further investigation.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: 1: Department of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, College of Oriental Medicine, Daegu Haany University, Daegu 730-090, Korea 2: College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University, Wonjoo 220-702, Korea 3: TKM Research Group, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130-701, Korea 4: Department of Acupuncture, CHA Biomedical Center, College of Medicine, Pochon CHA University, Seoul 135-081, Korea 5: College of Korean Medicine, Semyung University, Jechon 390-711, Korea 6: Department of Medical Research, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon 305-811, Korea
Publication date: 2007-02-01
- Authors wishing to cite fast track papers should give the journal name and the article DOI. This will enable reference linking via CrossRef and allow forward and backward citation tracking systems to associate the fast track citation with the final journal reference.
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Information for Advertisers
- Terms & Conditions
- Virtual Maney - Stroke
- Top articles
- Health Sciences Spotlight
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
- In this: publication
- By this: publisher
- In this Subject: Neurology & Psychiatry
- By this author: Seo, Jungchul ; Lee, Hyang-Sook ; Ha, Eunyoung ; Park, Hi-Joon ; Park, Hun-Kuk ; Lee, Hyejung ; Kang, SungKeel ; Yin, ChangShik ; Kim, Jeongseon ; Leem, Kang-Hyun ; Kim, Ee-Hwa ; Ryu, YeonHee ; Choi, SunMi ; Chung, Joo-Ho