Five djentlemen and a girl walk into a metal bar: Thoughts on a ‘metal after metal’ metal studies
As a nascent academic field of study, it is an optimal time for metal music scholars to fashion a metal (music) studies focused on (heavy) metal’s status and development as genre, as tradition, as culture – in other words, as subject/object of broad scholarly enquiry – that productively resists orthodoxies not only by maintaining metal scholarship’s current multidisciplinarity, which I applaud, but also by expanding the notion of ‘metal musician’ and ‘metal music culture’. The first idea is a relatively noncontroversial position to assume; however, I want to push on the second idea through a discussion of two performances of the composition, ‘Aviator’, which demonstrate some of the limits within current metal studies. Before turning to ‘Aviator’, however, I will take some time to outline the broader discussion within metal studies around the issue of academic legitimation.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Columbia University
Publication date: 2016-09-01
More about this publication?
- Metal Music Studies is the journal of the International Society for Metal Music Studies.
The aims of the journal are:
• To provide an intellectual hub for the International Society of Metal Music Studies and a vehicle to promote the development of metal music studies;
• To be the focus for research and theory in metal music studies – a multidisciplinary (and interdisciplinary) subject field that engages with a range of parent disciplines, including (but not limited to) sociology, musicology, humanities, cultural studies, geography, philosophy, psychology, history, natural sciences;
• To publish high-quality, world-class research, theory and shorter articles that cross over from the industry and the scene;
• To be a world leader in interdisciplinary studies and be a unique resource for metal music studies.
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Subscribe to this Title
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites