A 19th Century Brazilian botanical dictionary
Abstract:Joaquim de Almeida Pinto's Diccionario de botanica brasileira was published in 1873. The new scientific names in it have not appeared in the principal indices of phanerogamic scientific names. There are 12 new generic names, 317 new specific epithets, 6 new varieties, and 1 new specific combination in the book. Seven of the specific epithets have later homonyms: Elephantopus littoralis, Erythroxylum stipulosum, Heliconia sylvestris, Hyptis incana, Paspalum aquaticum, Passiflora involucrata, and Salacia corymbosa.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Systematic Botany and Mycology Laboratory, Rm. 304, BARC-West, Beltsville, Maryland 20705-2350, U.S.A.
Publication date: August 1, 2007
Impact Factor (2015): 2.9
Taxon electronic back issues (1950-2001) have been released in 2005
Submission of manuscripts: www.editorialmanager.com/taxon
- Information for Authors
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Regnum Vegetabile and Taxonomic Literature online
- Taxon electronic back issues (1950-2001) hosted by JSTOR
- Free access for IAPT members: please login at
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites