Orthographic conundrums: the problem of -opsis and -botrys
Abstract:A survey of the use of two common suffixes of generic names and species epithets in botanical nomenclature is provided and discrepancies in treatment, either in the form of the stem or in the gender, are demonstrated. The reasons for these discrepancies and their consequences are outlined and possible means of harmonization are indicated.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: CABI Bioscience UK Centre, Bakeham Lane, Egham, Surrey, TW20 9TY, U.K.
Publication date: August 1, 2003
Impact Factor (2015): 2.9
Taxon electronic back issues (1950-2001) have been released in 2005
Submission of manuscripts: www.editorialmanager.com/taxon
- Information for Authors
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Regnum Vegetabile and Taxonomic Literature online
- Taxon electronic back issues (1950-2001) hosted by JSTOR
- Free access for IAPT members: please login at
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites