A Framework for Developing Research Protocols for Evaluation of Microbial Hazards and Controls during Production That Pertain to the Quality of Agricultural Water Contacting Fresh Produce That May Be Consumed Raw
Authors: Harris, Linda J.1; Bender, Jeff2; Bihn, Elizabeth A.3; Blessington, Tyann4; Danyluk, Michelle D.5; Delaquis, Pascal6; Goodridge, Lawrence7; Ibekwe, A. Mark8; Ilic, Sanja9; Kniel, Kali10; LeJeune, Jeffrey T.9; Schaffner, Donald W.11; Stoeckel, Don12; Suslow, Trevor V.13
Source: Journal of Food Protection®, Number 12, December 2012, pp. 2100-2304 , pp. 2251-2273(23)
Abstract:Agricultural water may contact fresh produce during irrigation and/or when crop protection sprays (e.g., cooling to prevent sunburn, frost protection, and agrochemical mixtures) are applied. This document provides a framework for designing research studies that would add to our understanding of preharvest microbial food safety hazards and control measures pertaining to agricultural water. Researchers will be able to use this document to design studies, to anticipate the scope and detail of data required, and to evaluate previously published work. This document should also be useful for evaluating the strength of existing data and thus should aid in identifying future research needs. Use of this document by the research community may lead to greater consistency or comparability than currently exists among research studies, which may ultimately facilitate direct comparison of hazards and efficacy of controls among different commodities, conditions, and practices.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: 1: Western Center for Food Safety, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, California 95616, USA. email@example.com 2: Veterinary Preventive Medicine, University of Minnesota, 136F ABLMS, 1354 Eckles Avenue, St. Paul, Minnesota 55108, USA 3: Department of Food Science, Cornell University, 630 West North Street, Geneva, New York 14456, USA 4: Western Center for Food Safety, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, California 95616, USA 5: Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Citrus Research and Education Center, University of Florida, 700 Experiment Station Road, Lake Alfred, Florida 33850, USA 6: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, 4200 Highway 97 South, Summerland, British Columbia, Canada V0H 1Z0 7: Department of Animal Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523-1171, USA 8: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Salinity Laboratory, 450 West Big Springs Road, Riverside, California 92507, USA 9: Food Animal Health Research Program, Ohio State University, 1680 Madison Avenue, Wooster, Ohio 44691, USA 10: Department of Animal and Food Science, University of Delaware, 044 Townsend Hall, Newark, Delaware 19716, USA 11: Rutgers University, 65 Dudley Road, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA 12: Battelle Memorial Institute, 505 King Street, Columbus, Ohio 43201-2696, USA 13: Department of Plant Sciences, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, California 95616, USA
Publication date: December 1, 2012
- IAFP members must first sign in on the right to access full text articles of JFP First published in 1937, the Journal of Food Protection®, is a refereed monthly publication. Each issue contains scientific research and authoritative review articles reporting on a variety of topics in food science pertaining to food safety and quality. The Journal is internationally recognized as the leading publication in the field of food microbiology with a readership exceeding 11,000 scientists from 70 countries. The Journal of Food Protection® is indexed in Index Medicus, Current Contents, BIOSIS, PubMed, Medline, and many others.
Print and online subscriptions are available to Members and Institutional subscribers. Online visitors who are not IAFP Members or journal subscribers will be charged on a pay-per-view basis. Information can be obtained by calling +1 800.369.6337; +1 515.276.3344; fax: +1 515.276.8655, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Web site: www.foodprotection.org
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
- In this: publication
- By this: publisher
- In this Subject: Nutrition & Food
- By this author: Harris, Linda J. ; Bender, Jeff ; Bihn, Elizabeth A. ; Blessington, Tyann ; Danyluk, Michelle D. ; Delaquis, Pascal ; Goodridge, Lawrence ; Ibekwe, A. Mark ; Ilic, Sanja ; Kniel, Kali ; LeJeune, Jeffrey T. ; Schaffner, Donald W. ; Stoeckel, Don ; Suslow, Trevor V.