If you are experiencing problems downloading PDF or HTML fulltext, our helpdesk recommend clearing your browser cache and trying again. If you need help in clearing your cache, please click here . Still need help? Email help@ingentaconnect.com

Prevalence and Molecular Characterization of Vibrio cholerae from Ice and Beverages Sold in Jakarta, Indonesia, Using Most Probable Number and Multiplex PCR

$37.00 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Buy Article:

Abstract:

Vibrio cholerae is well recognized as the causative agent of cholera, an acute intestinal infection characterized by watery diarrhea that may lead to dehydration and death in some cases. V. cholerae is a natural inhabitant of the aquatic environment in the tropical regions. Jakarta has the highest percentage of individuals affected by sporadic diarrheal illness compared with other areas in Indonesia. Inadequate safety measures for drinking water supplies, improper sanitation, and poor hygiene can increase the risk of cholera outbreaks. Few studies have been conducted on the prevalence of these bacteria in ice and beverages that are popularly sold and consumed in Jakarta. In this study, we detected and quantified V. cholerae from ice and beverages collected from several areas in five regions of Jakarta. Levels of V. cholerae in both ice and beverages were determined with the three-tube most-probable-number (MPN) method and ranged from < 0.3 to > 110 MPN/ml. The presence of regulatory and virulence gene sequences was determined by using uniplex and multiplex PCR assays. Of 110 samples tested, 33 (30%) were positive for V. cholerae; 21 (64%) were ice samples and the remaining 12 (36%) were beverages. A total of 88 V. cholerae strains were isolated, based on the presence of the toxR gene sequence identified by PCR. Other genetic markers, such as hlyA (59%), ompU (16%), and ctxA (19%), also were found during the search for potential pathogenic strains. The detection and isolation of potentially harmful V. cholerae from ice and beverages in Jakarta indicate that these products pose a health risk from choleragenic vibrios, particularly because of the emergence of classical biotypes of V. cholerae O1 and potentially harmful non-O1 serovars of this species.

Document Type: Research Article

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-11-504

Affiliations: 1: Faculty of Biotechnology, Atma Jaya Catholic University of Indonesia, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman 51, Jakarta 12930, Indonesia., Email: diana.waturangi@atmajaya.ac.id 2: Faculty of Biotechnology, Atma Jaya Catholic University of Indonesia, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman 51, Jakarta 12930, Indonesia 3: Microbiology Research Division, Bureau of Microbial Hazards, Food Directorate, Health Canada, 251 Sir F. Banting Driveway, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0K9

Publication date: April 1, 2012

More about this publication?
  • IAFP members must first sign in on the right to access full text articles of JFP

    First published in 1937, the Journal of Food Protection®, is a refereed monthly publication. Each issue contains scientific research and authoritative review articles reporting on a variety of topics in food science pertaining to food safety and quality. The Journal is internationally recognized as the leading publication in the field of food microbiology with a readership exceeding 11,000 scientists from 70 countries. The Journal of Food Protection® is indexed in Index Medicus, Current Contents, BIOSIS, PubMed, Medline, and many others.

    Print and online subscriptions are available to Members and Institutional subscribers. Online visitors who are not IAFP Members or journal subscribers will be charged on a pay-per-view basis. Information can be obtained by calling +1 800.369.6337; +1 515.276.3344; fax: +1 515.276.8655, E-mail: info@foodprotection.org or Web site: www.foodprotection.org
  • Information for Authors
  • Submit a Paper
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • Information for Advertisers
  • ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
Related content

Tools

Favourites

Share Content

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
ingentaconnect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more