If you are experiencing problems downloading PDF or HTML fulltext, our helpdesk recommend clearing your browser cache and trying again. If you need help in clearing your cache, please click here . Still need help? Email help@ingentaconnect.com

Monitoring of Chicken Houses and an Attached Egg-Processing Facility in a Laying Farm for Salmonella Contamination between 1994 and 1998

$37.00 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Buy Article:

Abstract:

Two chicken houses and an attached egg-processing facility in a laying farm were sampled between 1994 and 1998 to investigate Salmonella contamination. Each of the houses was environmentally controlled and fitted with egg belts that transported eggs from the houses to the egg-processing facility. Four hundred twenty-eight Salmonella isolates were obtained from 904 environmental samples collected from the houses. Two hundred fifty-two of the 428 (58.9%) isolates yielded five serotypes as follows: Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica serovar Livingstone, Salmonella serovar Cerro, Salmonella serovar Montevideo, Salmonella serovar Mbandaka, and Salmonella serovar Corvallis. The remaining (41.1%, 176 of 428) isolates included four other serotypes and isolates that were untypeable. Salmonella isolates obtained from the drain water collected after the washing of the eggs in the egg-processing facility yielded the same serotypes as those found in the chicken houses. Strains having an identical pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) pattern were continually recovered from a house for more than 1 year.Several strains of Salmonella Cerro, Salmonella Mbandaka, and Salmonella Montevideo obtained from both the houses and from the egg-processing facility were indistinguishable by PFGE, respectively. These results suggest that Salmonella organisms originating from a single clone colonized the chicken houses and that the egg belts are likely to be one of the means by which Salmonella organisms are spread from one house to the others.

Keywords:

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: 1: Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University, Tottori 680-8553, Japan 2: Department of Veterinary Public Health, Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University, Tottori 680-8553, Japan

Publication date: December 1, 2001

More about this publication?
  • IAFP members must first sign in on the right to access full text articles of JFP

    First published in 1937, the Journal of Food Protection®, is a refereed monthly publication. Each issue contains scientific research and authoritative review articles reporting on a variety of topics in food science pertaining to food safety and quality. The Journal is internationally recognized as the leading publication in the field of food microbiology with a readership exceeding 11,000 scientists from 70 countries. The Journal of Food Protection® is indexed in Index Medicus, Current Contents, BIOSIS, PubMed, Medline, and many others.

    Print and online subscriptions are available to Members and Institutional subscribers. Online visitors who are not IAFP Members or journal subscribers will be charged on a pay-per-view basis. Information can be obtained by calling +1 800.369.6337; +1 515.276.3344; fax: +1 515.276.8655, E-mail: info@foodprotection.org or Web site: www.foodprotection.org
  • Information for Authors
  • Submit a Paper
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • Information for Advertisers
  • ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites

Tools

Favourites

Share Content

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
ingentaconnect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more