Skip to main content

Heat Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Apple Cider Containing Malic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, and Potassium Sorbate

Buy Article:

$37.00 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Abstract:

The effect of pH modification and preservative addition in apple cider on the heat resistance of Escherichia coli O157:H7 was investigated. E. coli O157:H7 and various amounts of potassium sorbate (0 to 0.2%), sodium benzoate (0 to 0.2%), and malic acid (0 to 1%) were added to apple cider. Thermal inactivation experiments were performed at 47, 50, and 53°C, and D- and z-values were calculated. In apple cider without additives, the D-value at 50°C (D50) was about 65 min, but addition of preservatives and malic acid significantly (P < 0.01) decreased D-values. D 50-values decreased to 13.9 min in cider with 0.5% malic acid, 13.2 min with 0.1% sorbate, and 7.0 min with 0.1% benzoate added. Addition of both sorbate and malic acid had similar effects as either one alone, thus additive effects were not present. However, addition of both 0.2% benzoate and 1% malic acid did show additive effects, lowering D 50 to 0.3 min. Addition of all three components (0.2% sorbate, 0.2% benzoate, and 1% malic acid) resulted in a D 50 = 18 s. The z-value of cider without additives was about 6°C, whereas z-values of cider containing malic acid, benzoate, and/or sorbate ranged from about 6°C to 26°C. This increase may result in a longer 5-log reduction time at higher temperatures (i.e., 70°C) in cider with benzoate as compared to cider without additives.

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: Department of Food Science, Purdue University, 1160 Food Science Building, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-1160, USA

Publication date: August 1, 2000

More about this publication?
  • IAFP Members with personal subscriptions to JFP Online: To access full-text JFP or JMFT articles, you must sign-in in the upper-right corner using your Ingenta sign-in details (your IAFP Member Login does not apply to this website).

    The Journal of Food Protection (JFP) is a refereed monthly publication. Each issue contains scientific research and authoritative review articles reporting on a variety of topics in food science pertaining to food safety and quality. The Journal is internationally recognized as the leading publication in the field of food microbiology with a readership exceeding 11,000 scientists from 70 countries. The Journal of Food Protection is indexed in Index Medicus, Current Contents, BIOSIS, PubMed, Medline, and many others.

    Print and online subscriptions are available to IAFP Members and institutional subscribers. IAFP Members with a subscription to JFP Online will have access to all available JFP and JMFT content. Online visitors who are not IAFP Members or journal subscribers will be charged on a pay-per-view basis. Membership and subscription information is available at www.foodprotection.org.
  • Information for Authors
  • Submit a Paper
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • Information for Advertisers
  • ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
iafp/jfp/2000/00000063/00000008/art00003
dcterms_title,dcterms_description,pub_keyword
6
5
20
40
5

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
ingentaconnect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more