Skip to main content

Effects of Gamma Radiation on Sensory Qualities, Microbiological and Chemical Properties of Salted and Fermented Squid

Buy Article:

$37.00 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Abstract:

The effects of gamma radiation on sensory quality, microbial population, and chemical properties of salted and fermented squid were investigated. Squid (Todarodes pacificus) was sliced, washed, and then salted with 5, 10, and 20% (wt/wt) sodium chloride. Salted squid was irradiated with dosages of 0, 2.5, 5.0, and 10 kGy of gamma radiation and fermented at 15°C for 50 days. Proximate composition, salinity, water activity, sensory evaluation, and total microbiological populations were examined. Chemical analyses providing information on degree of fermentation, such as amino nitrogen (AN), volatile basic nitrogen (VBN), trimethylamine (TMA), and hypoxanthine (Hx) were also conducted. Irradiated squid was not different in proximate composition, salinity, and water activity from nonirradiated squid. Sensory evaluation scores, total bacteria populations, and pH values were variable depending on salt concentration and irradiation dose. During fermentation, AN, VBN, TMA, and Hx contents increased rapidly as the salt concentration and irradiation dose decreased. Specifically, these chemical compounds of salted and fermented squid prepared with 10% salt and 10 kGy of gamma radiation maintained the appropriate level of fermentation. The present results showed that the combination of low salt concentration (10%) and gamma radiation was effective in processing salted and fermented squid and extending its shelf life compared to control (20% of salt) without adding any food additives.

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: Team for Radiation Food Science & Biotechnology, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, Yusong, P.O. Box 105, Taejon, 305-353, Korea

Publication date: July 1, 2000

More about this publication?
  • IAFP Members with personal subscriptions to JFP Online: To access full-text JFP or JMFT articles, you must sign-in in the upper-right corner using your Ingenta sign-in details (your IAFP Member Login does not apply to this website).

    The Journal of Food Protection (JFP) is a refereed monthly publication. Each issue contains scientific research and authoritative review articles reporting on a variety of topics in food science pertaining to food safety and quality. The Journal is internationally recognized as the leading publication in the field of food microbiology with a readership exceeding 11,000 scientists from 70 countries. The Journal of Food Protection is indexed in Index Medicus, Current Contents, BIOSIS, PubMed, Medline, and many others.

    Print and online subscriptions are available to IAFP Members and institutional subscribers. IAFP Members with a subscription to JFP Online will have access to all available JFP and JMFT content. Online visitors who are not IAFP Members or journal subscribers will be charged on a pay-per-view basis. Membership and subscription information is available at www.foodprotection.org.
  • Information for Authors
  • Submit a Paper
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • Information for Advertisers
  • ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
iafp/jfp/2000/00000063/00000007/art00016
dcterms_title,dcterms_description,pub_keyword
6
5
20
40
5

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
ingentaconnect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more