Skip to main content

Albendazole-Related Drug Residues in Milk and Their Fate during Cheesemaking, Ripening, and Storage

Buy Article:

$37.00 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Abstract:

The level and nature of the albendazole residues in milk of treated cows were determined as a function of the time of milking (12-h intervals), and the fate of those residues during cheesemaking, ripening, and storage was examined when the obtained milk was used for making Teleme cheese. Ion-pair liquid chromatographic analysis with fluorescence detection showed that the albendazole sulfoxide metabolite reached its maximum (523 ± 199 μg/kg) at the 1st milking and declined below the detection limit by the 4th milking. The sulfone metabolite attained its highest level (812 ± 99 μg/kg) more slowly (at the 2nd milking) and declined below detection limit by the 13th milking. The 2-aminosulfone metabolite, which was present in the milk obtained at the 1st milking, reached its maximum (128 ± 36 μg/kg) at the 3rd milking, and slowly declined to a level below detection limit by the 15th milking. Whey and cheese analysis revealed that about 70% of each major metabolite initially present in milk could be distributed in the whey. The remaining 30% occurred in the cheese at residue levels higher than those initially present in the milk of the 1st or 2nd milking (688 versus 445 or 450 versus 230 μg/kg for albendazole sulfoxide; 890 versus 608 or 1502 versus 783 μg/kg for albendazole sulfone; 19 versus 15 or 161 versus 105 μg/kg for albendazole 2-aminosulfone). Ripening and storage of the cheeses made from milks from the 1st or 2nd milkings results in a decrease of the sulfoxide metabolite (to 225 or 206 μg/kg), an increase of the sulfone metabolite (to 1,181 or 1,893 μg/kg), and no effect on the 2-aminosulfone metabolite.

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: 1: Milk Hygiene and Technology Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University, GR-54006 Thessaloniki, Greece 2: Nutrition Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University, GR-54006 Thessaloniki, Greece 3: Food Hygiene Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University, GR-54006 Thessaloniki, Greece

Publication date: November 1, 1998

More about this publication?
  • IAFP Members with personal subscriptions to JFP Online: To access full-text JFP or JMFT articles, you must sign-in in the upper-right corner using your Ingenta sign-in details (your IAFP Member Login does not apply to this website).

    The Journal of Food Protection (JFP) is a refereed monthly publication. Each issue contains scientific research and authoritative review articles reporting on a variety of topics in food science pertaining to food safety and quality. The Journal is internationally recognized as the leading publication in the field of food microbiology with a readership exceeding 11,000 scientists from 70 countries. The Journal of Food Protection is indexed in Index Medicus, Current Contents, BIOSIS, PubMed, Medline, and many others.

    Print and online subscriptions are available to IAFP Members and institutional subscribers. IAFP Members with a subscription to JFP Online will have access to all available JFP and JMFT content. Online visitors who are not IAFP Members or journal subscribers will be charged on a pay-per-view basis. Membership and subscription information is available at www.foodprotection.org.
  • Information for Authors
  • Submit a Paper
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • Information for Advertisers
  • ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
iafp/jfp/1998/00000061/00000011/art00011
dcterms_title,dcterms_description,pub_keyword
6
5
20
40
5

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
ingentaconnect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more