If you are experiencing problems downloading PDF or HTML fulltext, our helpdesk recommend clearing your browser cache and trying again. If you need help in clearing your cache, please click here . Still need help? Email help@ingentaconnect.com

Physico-chemical Characterization of "Bone Taint" in Spanish Dry-cured Hams

$37.00 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Buy Article:

Abstract:

Samples of Spanish dry-cured hams were analyzed using several physico-chemical parameters (moisture content, chlorides, water activity, nitrate, nitrite, total volatile basic nitrogen [TVBN], pH, and oxidation-reduction potential [Eh]) The samples (n = 76) were taken from three basic types of dry-cured hams produced in Spain: slow-cured hams from white pigs (n = 39), fast-cured hams from white pigs (n = 15), and hams from black-skinned Iberian pigs (n = 22). Overall, 56 samples (73.7%) showed the "bone taint" condition, and the remaining 20 hams (26.3%) were normal, and therefore considered as a control group. The objective of this research was to establish the possible circumstances that determine the alteration by means of the differences found in the values of the analyzed measurements in both groups of samples (altered versus normal ones). The hams with "bone taint" were, in general terms, those with a higher TVBN content, a greater pH, and a lower Eh, attributable to an anomalous development of the proteolytic phenomena. The conjunction of a lower concentration of chlorides, greater moisture content, and a higher aw in the affected hams may have created the conditions favorable for tissue enzyme and/or microbial activity.

Keywords: "BONE TAINT"; DEEP PUTREFACTION; DEEP SPOILAGE; HAM SOURING; PHYSICO-CHEMICAL ANALYSIS; SPANISH DRY-CURED HAMS

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: Department of Animal Production & Food Science, Unit of Hygiene, Inspection, Control, and Food Microbiology, Veterinary Faculty, University of Zaragoza, Miguel Servet, 177, #50013 Zaragoza, Spain

Publication date: June 1, 1997

More about this publication?
  • IAFP members must first sign in on the right to access full text articles of JFP

    First published in 1937, the Journal of Food Protection®, is a refereed monthly publication. Each issue contains scientific research and authoritative review articles reporting on a variety of topics in food science pertaining to food safety and quality. The Journal is internationally recognized as the leading publication in the field of food microbiology with a readership exceeding 11,000 scientists from 70 countries. The Journal of Food Protection® is indexed in Index Medicus, Current Contents, BIOSIS, PubMed, Medline, and many others.

    Print and online subscriptions are available to Members and Institutional subscribers. Online visitors who are not IAFP Members or journal subscribers will be charged on a pay-per-view basis. Information can be obtained by calling +1 800.369.6337; +1 515.276.3344; fax: +1 515.276.8655, E-mail: info@foodprotection.org or Web site: www.foodprotection.org
  • Information for Authors
  • Submit a Paper
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • Information for Advertisers
  • ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
Related content

Tools

Favourites

Share Content

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
ingentaconnect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more