The first road along the rocky shores of the Lake of Lucerne between the cantons of Schwyz and Uri in central Switzerland was opened in 1865. The road is still known today as the "Axenstrasse" (Axen Street) because of the main geological feature along the way, Axen Rock a vertical wall rising form the lake. To overcome this massive obstacle, a tunnel with a length of about 150 m had to be bored. Due to increased traffic, a new tunnel, deeper within the rock, was opened in 1941, while the old tunnel continued to be used by pedestrians and as back-up route during maintenance works in the new tunnel. The old tunnel is now part of a hiking trail around the entire lake.