Chemotherapy in the elderly

Author: Lichtman, Stuart M

Source: Aging Health, 1 April 2007, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 165-175(11)

Publisher:

Buy & download fulltext article:

The full text article is temporarily unavailable.

We apologise for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

Abstract:

People over the age of 65¬†years constitute the fastest-growing segment of the US population. Within the next 30¬†years, this group will comprise over 20% of the total population. Importantly, 50% of all cancers and 70% of cancer mortality occur in this age group. Choosing the correct chemotherapy regimen and dose for the older patient can be extremely difficult due to physiological changes that occur with aging, as well as other comorbidities associated with this age group. Treatment decisions need to be based on a patient’s individual performance, functional status, life expectancy, and their wishes and opinions. Although there are no accepted algorithms to guide management decisions in elderly cancer patients, data are becoming available that will help guide the use of chemotherapy in the older patient population.

Keywords: aging; assessment; cancer; chemotherapy; clinical trials; comorbidity; elderly; frailty; function; pharmacokinetics

Document Type: Research Article

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2217/1745509X.3.2.165

Affiliations: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 650 Commack Road, Commack, New York, NY, USA., Email: lichtmas@mskcc.org

Publication date: April 1, 2007

Related content

Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content

Text size:

A | A | A | A
Share this item with others: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages. print icon Print this page