Development of Pheidole megacephala (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) Colonies Following Ingestion of Fenoxycarb and Pyriproxyfen

$28.00 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Buy Article:

Abstract:

Laboratory-reared Pheidole megacephala (F.) colonies were fed 2% pyriproxyfen (5umitomo 5-31183) or 2% fenoxycarb, ethyl [2-(4-phenoxyphenoxy)ethyll carbamate, in soybean oil. Queens in colonies treated with pyriproxyfen laid significantly fewer eggs than controls 2 wk after treatment. Oviposition ceased in all pyriproxyfen-treated queens at 6 wk after treatment, with no recovery during the 15 wk of the study. Brood volumes in pyriproxyfen-treated colonies declined after 2 wk because of pupal death. No brood was found after 4 wk. Fenoxycarb-treated queens laid significantly fewer eggs than controls after 2 wk. Fenoxycarb-treated colonies shifted caste differentiation from workers to males at 3 wk after treatment. At 5 wk, 90% of larvae were male; the remaining 10% developed into intercastes.

Document Type: Research Article

Publication date: February 1, 1991

More about this publication?
  • Journal of Economic Entomology is published bimonthly in February, April, June, August, October, and December. The journal publishes articles on the economic significance of insects and is divided into the following sections: apiculture & social insects; arthropods in relation to plant disease; forum; insecticide resistance and resistance management; ecotoxicology; biological and microbial control; ecology and behavior; sampling and biostatistics; household and structural insects; medical entomology; molecular entomology; veterinary entomology; forest entomology; horticultural entomology; field and forage crops, and small grains; stored-product; commodity treatment and quarantine entomology; and plant resistance. In addition to research papers, Journal of Economic Entomology publishes Letters to the Editor, interpretive articles in a Forum section, Short Communications, Rapid Communications, and Book Reviews.
  • Editorial Board
  • Submit a Paper
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Information for Advertisers
  • Visit this journal's homepage
  • ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
Related content

Tools

Favourites

Share Content

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
ingentaconnect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more