Hepatocyte Transplantation for Glycogen Storage Disease Type Ib
Authors: Lee, Kwang-Woong1; Lee, Ji-Hyun2; Shin, Sung Wook3; Kim, Sung Joo1; Joh, Jae Won1; Lee, Doo-Hoon4; Kim, Jong-Won5; Park, Hwa-Young6; Lee, Soo-Youn5; Lee, Hwan Hyo1; Park, Jin Wan1; Kim, Shi-Yeon2; Yoon, Hee-Hoon4; Jung, Doo-Hee4; Choe, Yon Ho6; Lee, Suk-Koo7
Source: Cell Transplantation, Volume 16, Number 6, 2007 , pp. 629-637(9)
Publisher: Cognizant Communication Corporation
Abstract:Glycogen storage disease type I (GSD-I) is a group of autosomal recessive disorders with an incidence of 1 in 100,000. The two major subtypes are GSD-Ia, caused by a deficiency of glucose-6-phosphatase (G6Pase), and GSD-Ib, caused by a deficiency of glucose-6-phosphate transporter (G6PT). We report that a substantial improvement was achieved following several infusions of hepatocytes in a patient with GSD-Ib. Hepatocytes were isolated from the unused cadaveric whole livers of two donors. At the first transplantation, approximately 2 × 109 cells (2% of the estimated recipient's total hepatocytes) were infused. Seven days later 1 × 109 (1% of liver mass) cryopreserved hepatocytes from the same donor were infused, and an additional 3 × 109 (3% of liver mass) cells from the second donor were infused 1 month after the second transplantation. After the hepatocyte transplantation, the patient showed no hypoglycemic symptoms despite the discontinuation of cornstarch meals. Liver biopsies on posttransplantation days 20 and 250 showed a normal level of glucose-6-phosphatase activity in presolubilization assay that was very low before transplantation. This was the first and successful clinical hepatocyte transplantation in Korea. In this study, hepatocyte transplantation allowed a normal diet in a patient with GSD-Ib, with substantial improvement in their quality of life. Hepatocyte transplantation might be an alternative to liver transplantation and dietary therapy in GSD-Ib.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: 1: Department of Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea 2: Samsung Biomedical Research Institute, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea 3: Department of Radiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea 4: Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Dongguk University, Seoul, Korea 5: Department of Laboratory Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea 6: Department of Pediatrics, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea 7: *Department of Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Publication date: 2007-06-01
- Cell Transplantation publishes original, peer-reviewed research and review articles on the subject of cell transplantation and its application to human diseases. To ensure high-quality contributions from all areas of transplantation, separate section editors and editorial boards have been established. Articles deal with a wide range of topics including physiological, medical, preclinical, tissue engineering, and device-oriented aspects of transplantation of nervous system, endocrine, growth factor-secreting, bone marrow, epithelial, endothelial, and genetically engineered cells, among others. Basic clinical studies and immunological research papers are also featured. To provide complete coverage of this revolutionary field, Cell Transplantation will report on relevant technological advances, and ethical and regulatory considerations of cell transplants. Cell Transplantation is now an Open Access journal starting with volume 18 in 2009, and therefore there will be an inexpensive publication charge, which is dependent on the number of pages, in addition to the charge for color figures. This will allow work to be disseminated to a wider audience and also entitle the corresponding author to a free PDF, as well as prepublication of an unedited version of the manuscript.
- In this: publication
- By this: publisher
- In this Subject: Anatomy & Physiology , Biology , Biotechnology , Pharmacology , Surgery
- By this author: Lee, Kwang-Woong ; Lee, Ji-Hyun ; Shin, Sung Wook ; Kim, Sung Joo ; Joh, Jae Won ; Lee, Doo-Hoon ; Kim, Jong-Won ; Park, Hwa-Young ; Lee, Soo-Youn ; Lee, Hwan Hyo ; Park, Jin Wan ; Kim, Shi-Yeon ; Yoon, Hee-Hoon ; Jung, Doo-Hee ; Choe, Yon Ho ; Lee, Suk-Koo