Utilizing geographic information system (GIS) to determine optimum forest cover for minimizing runoff in a degraded watershed in Jamaica
Optimum forest cover is not a new concept. It was part of the suggested policies to achieve sustainable forest management at a 1996 meeting of the UN/FAO Intergovernmental Panel on Forests. It has not been actively pursued by many countries however, but since deforestation is being singled out as one of the major contributing factors to degrading global climatic conditions, this concept may take on new meaning. This research devised a methodology for determining the optimum forest cover for a degraded watershed in south-central Jamaica. The model suggested a spatial pattern in the upper portions of the watershed which increased the forest cover from 16.76 to 37.47 . This significantly reduced runoff where the forest cover was optimized and simulated in a hydrological model. This technique will give direction to forest management and conservation in Jamaica and will form part of the decision support system for the country's planners.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Forestry Department, 173 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 8, Jamaica.
Publication date: 01 September 2009
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has a 5-year impact factor of 1.733
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites