Forest inventory in China: status and challenges
Abstract:Forest inventory in China provides valuable information on forestry policy formulation, forest management planning, and international forestry related reports. It includes the national forest inventory (Level I), the forest management planning inventory (Level II), and the forest operation design inventory (Level III) as the primary components. This paper describes the evolution of the inventory system focusing on forest inventories at levels I and II in terms of sampling strategy, plot design, output, and the application of information techniques. The current forest inventory system faces challenges in its transition from a forestry development strategy catered towards timber production in China to one where ecological-oriented management is the primary concern. At the same time, information needs to be expanded from local to national and international scales. Potential improvements are discussed that include sampling design, plot design, potential use of new remote sensing techniques as well as further data analysis.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: 1: Key Laboratory of Forestry Remote Sensing and lnformation System, Institute of Forest Resource Information Techniques, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Beijing, China. 2: Zhejiang Forestry College, Lin'an City, Zhejiang Province, China. 3: Central-South University of Forestry & Technology, Changsha, Hunan Province, China.
Publication date: 2009-03-01
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has a 5-year impact factor of 1.733
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites