Regulatory approaches to monitoring sustainable forest management
Abstract:The institutions created to address the problems associated with forest utilisation, degradation and destruction internationally have ranged from hard laws, put in place by governments through legislation, to soft law mechanisms such as forest certification. Each of these standards requires enforcement and evaluation through monitoring and information reporting. Despite differing levels of legalisation, the monitoring and information reporting requirements documented in hard and soft law mechanisms can reveal considerable crossover. It is therefore important to identify where hard laws are adequate for individual SFM situations and where soft laws are performing better, with a view to identifying overlaps that affect the efficiency, cost effectiveness and level of confidence in the monitoring process. This paper presents a basic theoretical background to SFM and discusses two important characteristics, namely adaptive management and monitoring. The hard and soft law mechanisms available to forest policy makers are addressed and, finally, the role of stakeholders and the wider operating environment in forestry-related monitoring is considered.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Sustainable Forest Management Laboratory, Department of Forest Resources Management, Faculty of Forestry, University of British Columbia, Canada.
Publication date: June 1, 2004
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has a 5-year impact factor of 1.540
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites