Skip to main content

Free Content Childhood Tuberculosis in the Kilimanjaro region: lessons from and for the TB Programme

Download Article:

You have access to the full text article on a website external to Ingenta Connect.

Please click here to view this article on Wiley Online Library.

You may be required to register and activate access on Wiley Online Library before you can obtain the full text. If you have any queries please visit Wiley Online Library

Summary Objective 

To determine the magnitude of childhood TB and treatment outcome in Kilimanjaro region. Methods 

Retrospective review of registration-based data on TB notifications in Kilimanjaro region for the period 2002–2006. Results 

Between 2002 and 2006, there were 1615 patients of childhood TB in Kilimanjaro region constituting 13% of total TB burden and the average case detection rate was 147/100 000 for urban and 41.8/100 000 for rural populations. Of them, 54.2% were men and 75.2% had pulmonary TB (PTB); 24.9% were tested for acid-fast bacilli (AFB) by Ziehl-Neelsen staining showing that 5.8% of all patients with TB were AFB smear positive. The remaining 94.2% were presumptively treated for TB. Treatment success rate was 79.9%, mortality 10.9% and default rate was 7%. Unfavourable outcome was more common among unconfirmed TB patients. HIV testing was very rare but increased after 2004 (<2% before 2005, 11–16% afterwards.) Conclusion 

The rate of childhood TB in Kilimanjaro region is among the highest in the world. Microbiological diagnosis for TB and AFB smear positivity is very low. Treatment outcome in this region is poor. These findings argue for specific TB control strategies to be designed for children such as more AFB testing using new tools such as induced sputum and laryngeal swabs, active case finding, HIV testing of all suspected TB children, promoting and monitoring adherence. Regular epidemiological studies are also needed.
No References
No Citations
No Supplementary Data
No Article Media
No Metrics

Keywords: HIV; Tuberculosis; childhood; treatment outcome

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: 1:  Kilimanjaro Clinical Research Institute, Moshi, Tanzania 2:  Kilimanjaro Regional TB and Leprosy Programme, Moshi, Tanzania 3:  Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Publication date: 2010-05-01

  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more