Skip to main content

Free Content Risk factors for child mortality in rural Tanzania

Download Article:

You have access to the full text article on a website external to Ingenta Connect.

Please click here to view this article on Wiley Online Library.

You may be required to register and activate access on Wiley Online Library before you can obtain the full text. If you have any queries please visit Wiley Online Library


We conducted a community-based nested case–control study of post-neonatal deaths in children under 5 years, with frequency-matched controls chosen from a full sampling frame provided by a demographic surveillance system. Using a questionnaire, we studied treatment-seeking behaviour in fatal illness. In cases and controls we investigated demographic and socio-economic factors, health-seeking behaviour, the household environment including accessibility of health care, and individual child care factors. Half of the deaths (215/427) occurred at home, and one-third (146/427) at a health facility. Three-quarters (330/427) of the children who died had received treatment from a health facility in their fatal illness. Four independent risk factors for death were identified which were each associated with more than 5% of child mortality: not being carried on the back while the mother cooked [odds ratio (OR) 1.6: 1.3, 2.0], poor maternal education (OR 1.4: 95% CI 1.0, 1.9 for those with no education compared with those with complete primary education), lack of exclusive breastfeeding in the first 3 months of life (OR 1.4: 1.1, 1.8), and low socio-economic status (OR 1.3: 1.0, 1.6). The majority of children who died had sought treatment at a health facility during the fatal illness, which would lend support to interventions to improve case-management. The association between mothers carrying their children and child survival was unexpected and deserves further investigation.

Keywords: IMCI; Tanzania; breastfeeding; educational status; infant mortality; socio-economic factors

Document Type: Research Article


Affiliations: 1: Ifakara Health Research and Development Centre, Ifakara, Tanzania, 2: Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland

Publication date: June 1, 2002

Access Key

Free Content
Free content
New Content
New content
Open Access Content
Open access content
Partial Open Access Content
Partial Open access content
Subscribed Content
Subscribed content
Free Trial Content
Free trial content
Cookie Policy
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more