Fatal Electrocution by a Support Metal Wire
Electrocution is not an uncommon cause of death. A case of fatal electrocution by a metal wire that was used as a support for the insulated television cable wire is reported. Electric current flowed through the metal wire when it touched the residential power line. Electrical injury caused because of contact with the live metal wire is described with histopathological findings. This case reports the circumstances that led to accidental fatal electrocution in an outdoor setting during the rainy season. Significance of death scene investigation to confirm the cause and manner of death in cases of fatal electrocution is highlighted. Public awareness programs to lay emphasis on electrical safety in domestic environment need to be introduced to prevent fatalities resulting from ignorance and/or negligence.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: 1: Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, India. 2: Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, K. S. Hegde Medical Academy, Mangalore, India. 3: Department of Pathology, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, India. 4: Department of General Surgery, St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore, India. 5: Department of General Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India.
Publication date: May 1, 2010