Skip to main content

Age-Related Factors in the Relationship Between Foot Measurements and Living Stature and Body Weight

The full text article is not available.

At present, only title information is available on ingentaconnect.com for this article. This is due to copyright restrictions.

Abstract:

Abstract: 

The measurements of feet and footprints are especially important in forensic identification, as they have been used to predict the body height and weight of victims or suspects. It can be observed that the subjects of forensic-oriented studies are generally young adults. That is to say, researchers rarely take into consideration the body’s proportional changes with age. Hence, the aim of this study is to generate equations which take age and sex into consideration, when stature and body weight are estimated from foot and footprints dimensions. With this aim in mind, we measured the stature, body weight, foot length and breadth, heel breadth, footprint length and breadth, and footprint heel breadth of 516 volunteers (253 males and 263 females) aged between 17.6 and 82.9 years using standard measurement techniques. The sample population was divided randomly into two groups. Group 1, the study group, consisted of 80% of the sample (n =406); the remaining 20% were assigned to the cross-validation group or Group 2 (n =110). In the first stage of the study, we produced equations for estimating stature and weight using a stepwise regression technique. Then, their reliability was tested on Group 2 members. Statistical analyses showed that the ratios of foot dimensions to stature and body weight change considerably with age and sex. Consequently, the regression equations which include these variables yielded more reliable results. Our results indicated that age and sex should be taken into consideration when predicting human body height and weight for forensic purposes.

Keywords: body proportions; body weight estimation; forensic anthropology; forensic identification; forensic science; stature estimation

Document Type: Research Article

DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2008.00856.x

Affiliations: 1: Archaeology 2: Sociology, University of Gaziantep, Sehitkamil, Gaziantep 27310, Turkey.

Publication date: 2008-11-01

  • Access Key
  • Free ContentFree content
  • Partial Free ContentPartial Free content
  • New ContentNew content
  • Open Access ContentOpen access content
  • Partial Open Access ContentPartial Open access content
  • Subscribed ContentSubscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed ContentPartial Subscribed content
  • Free Trial ContentFree trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more