Skip to main content

Acute renal failure following ingestion of wild mushrooms

Buy Article:

$43.00 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Abstract

We describe three cases of acute renal failure in young men who ingested wild mushrooms with the intent of producing hallucinations. Two cases remained dialysis dependent and, in these cases, renal biopsy revealed tubulointerstitial nephritis and ¬≠fibrosis. Similar cases have been reported in other countries, but not in Australia. The most recognized mushroom nephrotoxin is orellanine, however the causative mushroom species and the actual toxin involved in these cases are unknown. (Intern Med J 2002; 32: 187−190)
No References
No Citations
No Supplementary Data
No Data/Media
No Metrics

Keywords: acute kidney failure; hallucinogens; mushroom poisoning; orellanine; ­interstitial nephritis

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: 1: Department of Nephrology, Austin & Repatriation Medical Centre, Heidelberg, 2: Department of Medicine, Bendigo Base Hospital, Bendigo 3: Department of Renal Pathology, Austin & Repatriation Medical Centre, Melbourne, 4: Department of Renal Pathology and 5: Department of Nephrology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Publication date: 2002-04-01

  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more