Elective hysterectomy at Ilorin, Nigeria-4 year review
Author: Oyawoye, O. A.
Source: Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Volume 18, Number 1, 1 January 1998 , pp. 72-75(4)
Publisher: Informa Healthcare
Abstract:This study reviews all cases of hysterectomy performed at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin over a 4-year period between 1 April 1984 and 31 March 1988. There were 155 elective hysterectomies out of 1828 elective major gynaecological procedures with a prevalence rate of 8.5%. An analysis of 128 case notes available for review revealed that 100 (78%) of the patients had total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH) while the remaining 28 (22%) had vaginal hysterectomy (VH). Uterine fibroids were the leading indication for TAH while all the VH were for utero-vaginal prolapse. In spite of routine use of prophylactic antibiotics, febrile morbidity and wound sepsis were among the leading complications. Unnecessary blood transfusions were frequent. Mortality rate in elective hysterectomy was 0.78%.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: January 1, 1998