Interlaboratory Evaluation of Two Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay Kits for the Detection of Egg, Milk, Wheat, Buckwheat, and Peanut in Foods
Authors: Matsuda, Rieko1; Yoshioka, Yasuo1; Akiyama, Hiroshi1; Aburatani, Kenichi2; Watanabe, Yumiko2; Matsumoto, Takashi3; Morishita, Naoki3; Sato, Hidetaka4; Mishima, Takashi4; Gamo, Reiko5; Kihira, Yasunori6; Maitani, Tamio1
Source: Journal of AOAC International, Volume 89, Number 6, November 2006 , pp. 1600-1608(9)
Publisher: AOAC International
Abstract:The labeling of 5 major allergenic ingredients (egg, milk, wheat, buckwheat, and peanut) is mandatory in Japan, and 2 series of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) kits have been established as official screening methods. However, these official methods have not provided the necessary sensitivity, due in part to poor extraction efficiency. To address this need, 2 novel ELISA kits have been developed: the FASTKIT ELISA Ver. II Series and the FASPEK Allergenic Substances Detection Kit. The new kit systems use an improved extraction buffer that can extract insoluble proteins produced by processing and feature new antibodies that bind to the denatured proteins extracted with the new extraction buffer. The analytical performances of the 2 new ELISA kit series were evaluated in an interlaboratory study. Ten laboratories participated in the study and determined the major allergenic ingredients contained in 5 types of model processed food. The 2 ELISAs displayed fairly good reproducibility and sufficient recovery.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: 1: National Institute of Health Sciences, 1-18-1, Kamiyoga, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 158-8501, Japan. 2: Morinaga Institute of Biological Science, 2-1-16 Sachiura, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama 236-0003, Japan. 3: Nippon Meat Packers, Inc., R&D Center, 3-3 Midorigahara, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 300-2646, Japan. 4: Japan Food Research Laboratories, Chitose Laboratory, 2-3, Bunkyo, Chitose, Hokkaido 066-0052, Japan. 5: Nippon Gene Co., Ltd., 1-1-25, Arakawa, Toyama 930-0982, Japan. 6: Oriental Yeast Co., Ltd., 50, Kano-cho, Nagahama, Shiga 526-0804, Japan.
Publication date: November 2006
- The Journal of AOAC INTERNATIONAL publishes refereed papers and reviews in the fields of chemical, biological and toxicological analytical chemistry for the purpose of showcasing the most precise, accurate and sensitive methods for analysis of foods, food additives, supplements and contaminants, cosmetics, drugs, toxins, hazardous substances, pesticides, feeds, fertilizers and the environment available at that point in time. The scope of the Journal includes unpublished original research describing new analytical methods, techniques and applications; improved approaches to sampling, both in the field and the laboratory; better methods of preparing samples for analysis; collaborative studies substantiating the performance of a given method; statistical techniques for evaluating data. The Journal will also publish other articles of general interest to its audience, e.g., technical communications; cautionary notes; comments on techniques, apparatus, and reagents.
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Information for Advertisers
- Journal Information
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
- In this: publication
- By this: publisher
- In this Subject: Agriculture/Food Sciences , Microbiology , Analytical Chemistry
- By this author: Matsuda, Rieko ; Yoshioka, Yasuo ; Akiyama, Hiroshi ; Aburatani, Kenichi ; Watanabe, Yumiko ; Matsumoto, Takashi ; Morishita, Naoki ; Sato, Hidetaka ; Mishima, Takashi ; Gamo, Reiko ; Kihira, Yasunori ; Maitani, Tamio